Biblical Love: Not Easily Exasperated



"...Is not easily provoked..."  1 Corinthians 13:5c

"The highest exercise of charity, is charity towards the uncharitable."  Buckminster

     Provoked.  Aah, yes, I do believe we all understand that word.  When typically thinking of that word, one thinks of irritation...exasperation.  One usually uses that word when encouraged in doing something wrong.
     "I was provoked to yell!"  "I was provoked into it!"  "I was provoked!"  All are common defenses.  Patience is not usually tied to provocation.  However, impatience is.
     Do you easily become exasperated with something?  I know I do!  I do not find it pleasant to know that I have been one to be easily provoked unto anger, but nevertheless, there it is.  It is the truth.
     It can be hard to be patient.  We want something immediately, or we are irritated for whatever reason.  We give in to the flesh's desire to execute our wrath:  a scowl, a scoff, a rude gesture, a rude comment (or two...or more), walking away, etc.  Hmm.
     Is that really how Christ would have me behave myself?  Is that how I show my ambassadorship for the kingdom of God?  Is that how the Spirit of Christ is leading me?  I think not.
     
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."
Galatians 5:22, 23 

     Part of the Spirit's fruit is to be longsuffering.  That is the antithesis of one who is easily provoked, a.k.a. short-fused.  I know that it can seem "fun" or something for which to be proud to have a "short fuse..." in the world.  However, Christ wants me to be like Him, and He did not have a short fuse.  Did He not come and die for me, and is longsuffering with me (and all of humanity)?  Then, I must practice the same.
     Yes, I know that there are days that seem to breed nothing but easy provocations.  Messes that pile up in the home with not enough time to tackle them, situations that arise that seem impossibly insurmountable, family strifes, etc.  Yet, in all of those things and in any thing, I am to not be easily provoked.  I should be graciously longsuffering, just like Christ.
     The best way I will find myself under the Spirit's control, is to be under the Spirit's control:

"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;"
Ephesians 5:18

     Have you ever seen a drunk?  Have you ever been one?  I have.  Liquor/Alcohol indeed masters the drinker.  It is the mechanism that "loosens up" a person.  It is the means that causes clothes to disappear, dances to be done upon tables/bars, fornications to permeate, dirty jokes to be shared, good times to be had, and so forth.  It removes the responsible facade one has, to reveal the ugly truth of the human heart.  It reveals the chains of sin.
     God wants me to be under control of Him.  Instead of being full of alcohol, which will encourage my flesh to be fleshly, He wants me to be full of His Spirit so that I can be fully spiritual.  Wow!  What a thought!  Instead of having those clothes come off, I will be beautifully covered.  Instead of dancing on tables, or fornicating, I will practice sobriety and rejoice with my husband.  Instead of dirty jokes or "good times;" it will be clean communication and true, fun, sweet, refreshing, exciting communion with siblings in Christ!  It removes the control of the flesh and reveals the heart of Christ.  It reveals the liberty of Christ!

"This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh."
Galatians 5:16 

 "Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners."
1 Corinthians 15:33

     So, I will purpose to live each day under the control of the Spirit, not of Renee.  I will seek to not quench the Spirit, but rather daily commune with Christ.  I know, by His grace, I will practice the longsuffering grace of Christ, as I submit to Him daily, hourly--with every fiber of my being.  Then, I will not be so easily provoked (exasperated/irritated) with others or situations.  Rather, I will manifest the grace He has shown me all my life, thus exhibiting the glorious light of the Gospel!

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."
2 Peter 3:9

" Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:  That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Romans 15:5, 6



**Please join the rest of the series, as my friends and I discuss the matter of Biblical love, as found in 1 Corinthians 13.  Each day, from February 1 - February 14, one of us will be writing on this subject.  I have added which dates each one of us will be posting.  God bless!**
  1. Karen @ Victorian Rose 
  2. Gail @ The Imperfect Housewife 
  3. Gail @ The Imperfect Housewife 
  4. Renee (Me) @ I Am The Clay 
  5. Blair @ The Straightened Path 
  6. Kasey @ These Five of Mine Plus Two 
  7. Renee (Me) @ I Am The Clay 
  8. Gail @ The Imperfect Housewife 
  9. Renee (Me) @ I Am The Clay 
  10. Gail @ The Imperfect Houswife 
  11. Kasey @ These Five of Mine Plus Two
  12. Blair @ The Straightened Path
  13. Blair @ The Straightened Path
  14. Karen @ Victorian Rose



Comments

  1. Thank you Renee for sharing on the Point of having a Spirit Led life! We are often times the only view of what Jesus is...so we are often being watched without knowing it! What would we want to show others, a Grouchy Woman without self control :( I think NOT! Thank you again for the guidance on my behavior!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your heart, Renee! And I am inspired by the way the Lord is clearly working in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post! I've immensely enjoyed this series so far! Thank you for sharing your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies, again, for your encouraging words. The Lord is a wonderful Lord, is He not? Always working in and through His blood-bought child, never content to see us wayward. I'm thankful that this post was a blessing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got to reading this today... Wow. You nailed it Renee. I love that God can use you and your passion to convict me! I too often have that short fuse :( Thank you for the wonderful reminder than in ALL things I am to live under the control of the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad, Gail, that the Lord saw fit to use me to bless you! You are such a blessing to me, too, and many times God has used what you wrote to prick my heart. So glad for sisters seeking after Christ!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

"Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." Colossians 4:6

Popular Posts