Keeper At Home Temptations, Part 2

KAH TEMPTATIONS, PART 2:  WASTING TIME


     Oh, the blessedness of being a keeper at home, or as I'm liking to say, kah.  My husband chuckles at me whenever he hears me use that term, whether on here or elsewhere.  Any way to make him smile, right? ;)
     Nevertheless, it does not put a smile on his face to know that I am wasting time; precious time that is irreplaceable.  I do it so well.  Yet, it is a shame.  Not only does it bring displeasure to Dear, it brings displeasure to Christ for me to sin so...so...easily.
     I like orderliness, but I also appreciate spontaneity.  I like schedules, but I also like flexibility.  I enjoy writing things on my calendar(s), for it reminds me of those important meetings or tasks ahead of me.  I also like it because I feel more grown up...
     Unfortunately, I do not practice writing out those daily tasks, or weekly tasks.  I say "unfortunately" because I end up wasting a lot of precious time.  Sure, I'm not a mother, but I am a daughter of God and a wife.  There is plenty to be doing.  Any free time can be spent rightly, but only after what work is necessary to be done is completed first.
     All too often I find myself leisurely attending my day.  I do not strike out to accomplish chores.  Let me rephrase that statement:  I know there are chores to be done, and am willing (generally) to do them, but they don't always necessarily precede pleasure time.  You see, I always told myself as I was a youngster, that once I became an adult, I would do as I saw fit.
     The flesh really likes that idea!  "Why don't I just sleep in today?  No one will know."  Except most folks do know, but the most important person of all, GOD, knows.  
     "That chore can wait for another day.  There's nothing coming up in the next few days to hinder me from getting it done.  I really want to do ______ instead.  I'll just hide _____ before Dear gets home, so he doesn't think I'm slothful."  Yet again, GOD knows.
     I realize that there is a time to work, and a time to play.  There is a time for chores, and a time for leisure.  The priorities need to be in the right place for those times to be distinctly apportioned.
     I know that God does not want me to waste my time.  I know that He has allowed me to be a part of the day He has created, and wants me to use it profitably for His pleasure.  However, I have committed the sin of using this time solely for my pleasure.
     If I truly meditated on the fact that time is given to me by God for God, I would be in a much better state than I am.  If I was not selfish, I would be content to seek His will in how I use all of the time He gives me.  I would not recoil at His commands, or how He structures my day(s).  I would be most appreciative to Him.
     Since I am at home, and not working for a secular boss, it is easy to take advantage of the position I hold.  Dear is out in the world earning our income, while I am at home keeping it.  If I valued God more, and Dear more, I would value time more.

"Lord, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is:  that I may know how frail I am.  Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee:  verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity.  Selah."
Psalm 39:4, 5


"...We spend our years as a tale that is told.  The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away...So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom."
Psalm 90:9b, 10, 12

"As for man, his days are as grass:  as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth."
Psalm 103:15

"Man is like to vanity:  his days are as a shadow that passeth away."
Psalm 144:4

"For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass.  The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:"
I Peter 1:24

     We see in Scripture that our time on earth is precious, because it is as the flower in the field that fades away.  We see how precious our time is by the death of those we love.  Many times at funerals it is discussed how one spent their time.  How convicting it is to me, then, that I waste so much of it.
    Yet, there is hope.  There is hope because God is my hope!  There is hope in His Word.  I can seek Him in prayer, for the victory over this sin for which He died!  In Him is the victory, and I will then be a blessing to Him and Dear in this area of my life!

SOME WAYS TO AVOID WASTING TIME

  1. Read God's Word.  His Word is our source of wisdom.  In it He tells us:  "Redeeming the time, because the days are evil."--Ephesians 5:16
  2. Pray.  Be honest with the Lord.  He already knows with what you're struggling, now we just have to be willing to admit it openly to Him.  When we confess it to Him, with a repentant heart, He is faithful and just to forgive us that sin.  He will not only forgive us, but He will equip us through His grace to sin no more!  "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."--I John 1:9
  3. Let your husband help you.  Admit to him your fault.  A godly husband is a great blessing.  He will seek to protect you from Satan's temptations to get you to sin in this area.  He will pray for you.  Let him!  "Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered."--1 Peter 3:7
  4. Practice discipline.  I know that it is easier to say it than to do it, but it is necessary to overcome slothful time management.  Purpose to arise early, spend time with the Lord, then set about the day getting chores/tasks completed, then leisure.  Allow the Lord room to structure your day.  Do not become so rigid as to become frustrated when unexpected things occur.  Realize that the Lord is allowing opportunities for you/us:  to grow, to minister...Whatever He's trying to do.  
**Again, any other verses of Scripture pertaining to this issue, or words of wisdom are always appreciated!**

Please visit this link to view other ladies seeking to glorify their Lord in the high calling of a homemaker!






Comments

  1. This post was truly edifying and encouraging! Yes, when you have the blessing of being a Home Keeper, it is so easy to "take advantage" of this blessing by wasting time. However, God has not called us to waste time, but to be productive in service in various ways.

    Great post and great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm so blessed to be a blessing to others. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

"Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." Colossians 4:6

Popular Posts