My Travels


     Travels.  Some enjoy them, some do not.  Some enjoy lavish, luxurious travel accomodations.  Some just care to get wherever it is they are going.
     Some enjoy the traveling part, not so much the destination.  Some enjoy both.  There are a host of other scenarios, for there are hosts of different people, with diverse distinctions about them.
     I see myself as a conglomerate.  It always depends, on well, everything.  There have been times I have enjoyed the traveling, but not the destination.  I have enjoyed the destination, but not the trip getting there.  Then, I have enjoyed both.  Sometimes, I do not care much for the companions; whilst at other times I have.
     There have been times I have been ill while traveling, or healthy.  Good moods, bad moods, indifferent moods have accompanied me.  Yet, there were still needs or desires to be met by traveling.
     Such is my life.  I long ago learned that this world is not my home.  I am a pilgrim in this place, just as my forefathers were:  "These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth."--Hebrews 11:13
     Long ago I learned that my provider, protector, counselor, truest friend, was God.  He it is that provides all my needs.  I have learned to trust that He will give me my shelter, my abode, whilst here on this mortal plain.
     I can rehearse to you my experiences in life that would explain my thinking.  Maybe for another time I will.  Suffice it to say that I know that my home is not here.
     Coming from my background, and probably that of everyone born on the earth, I have desired to have a place to settle down and plant my roots.  I have desired that permanent, unmoveable, stable home.  Yet, if the earth is any indication, if life is any indication, I shall not find it here.
     I have been guilty, too many times to count, of being discontent with what the Lord has for me here.  I realize that He has me traveling.  I realize that sometimes my travels will have stops for years, sometimes months, sometimes days...You get the idea.  
     The Lord has allowed me many privileges while traveling down here.  I have been able to reside in a multitude of places, around many different folks, experience diverse cultures, all in the United States of America.  I have been allowed to enjoy some of the beauty of God's creation, though tainted by sin, in many of its forms.  I have been allowed to enjoy the various ways that the dust of the earth can me molded and manipulated into all sorts of things!  
     Nonetheless, my home is not here.  When I was born into God's family, He changed my citizenship.  I no longer am a patriotic earthling, American, or any such thing.  Rather, I am a patriotic citizen of Heaven.  "Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God."--2 Corinthians 5:20..."Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: "--Colossians 1:13
     I am saying all of these things, more of a reminder to myself than to anyone else.  I have been enduring, for quite a long time now, some challenges on my journey.  I know that all the trials are for my perfection, which brings my Heavenly Father glory and happiness.  I realize that I am becoming a stronger daughter of God.  "Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."--Hebrews 13:20, 21 
     Do not think that I say that the commands of Christ are burdensome.  No, it is delightful to know I am pleasing Him!  How can I best explain it?  Though the path be straight and evidently His path, it does not mean that it will be an easy-no-work-involved road.  It is encircled with enemies not wanting me traveling it.  It brings me through situations that I would have not thought of traversing, for fear or otherwise selfish reasons; yet, my Lord bids me come.  Thus, I come.
     I am realizing more and more that we wrestle not with flesh and blood, though there are times I believe I really am wresting with flesh and blood.  I am understanding more and more how important praying to God is, how important reading Scripture and asking for His understanding is...Not that I never knew these things prior to today, but rather I am deepening in my understanding.  Just as you learn something over and over again, then have situations in which it much be implemented, over and over again, you realize how important that skill/knowledge is.  That is the best way I can describe it.
     Truly, I am dependent upon Christ.  I do not mind it in the least, but am ever grateful for His strength and longsuffering!  When folks who can empathize are few; when you see the enemies of God encircling your camp; when you have no resolve of your own...Indeed, Christ is of the utmost comfort!  I am able to stay my ground, and keep walking each day, because He enables me.  "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--Philippians 4:13
     I must admit, I have noticed changes in me since the Lord has started laboring me more.  There is much still about me the same.  Some of those are good, some of those are sinful.  The sinful I detest, and know that victory is in Christ for those things!  The good, I give Him all the credit and joy in Him for the work He has done in me!  The new changes in me I see are fruits of which I have coveted, and to see them manifest in my life brings such a feeling of preciousness in my soul for my God.
     Though all these things are within my mind, and upon which I muse much, I have had no soul with whom to bare them, save God.  I do believe He has orchestrated it such, that I might have a deeper relationship with Him than I have had.  I wholeheartedly thank Him.  Though I am not King David, I feel like saying to God what David said to Him, many years ago: "Then went king David in, and sat before the LORD, and he said, Who am I, O Lord GOD? and what is my house, that thou hast brought me hitherto?"--2 Samuel 7:18
     Throughout the refiner's fire, I am learning so much.  Oh, and how I would take away none of those lessons!  Just rehearsing again, (this time on here), what my Lord has done and is doing is reminding me of how I ought to conduct myself:  inside and out.  How good He is to me!
     I am glad to know that He is refining me as I travel on my way home to Him.  I am glad to know I am no fatherless child.  I am glad to know that even if no one else understands, my Jesus understands.  I am glad to know that though friends may forsake me, foes may trouble me, Jesus never does.  Oh, what peace in Him!
     The weight of the load He asks me to carry sometimes overwhelms and intimidates me.  I get complacent in my walk down His straight and narrow road, so to speak.  Then, He introduces something to me that He asks of me to do.  What will my answer be?  I have found the best answer to be, "Yes, Lord," and smile in my heart; knowing that He loves me, and will give me all I need as I journey Home.  "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.  For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.  Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.  What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?  He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?  Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.  Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?  As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.  Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.  For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."--Romans 8:28-39 

Growing Home

       

Comments

Popular Posts