Overcoming Temptations, Part 1

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able ; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."
I Corinthians 10:13

"Temptation is the desire to perform an action that one may enjoy immediately or in the short term but will probably later regret for various reasons: legal, social, psychological (including feeling guilt), health-related, economic, etc. In the context of religion, temptation is the inclination to sin. Temptation also describes the coaxing or inducing a person into committing such an act, by manipulation or otherwise of curiosity, desire or fear of loss.
More informally, temptation may be used to mean "the state of being attracted and enticed" without anything to do with moral, ethical, or ideological valuation; for example, one may say that a piece of food looks "tempting" even though eating it would result in no negative consequences."
Wikipedia, 2012

     Boy, am I ever familiar with temptation(s)!  Just last night I struggled, and succombed, to it.  I am sure I will face some more today, too.
     I h-a-t-e temptation.  I l-o-a-t-h-e submitting to it even more.  I am beyond jubilant when I submit to God, rather than the temptation(s) bothering me sore.  When I allow God to be triumphant over it/them, what happiness!
     However, what shame fills me when I give in to temptation, which breeds sin.  I especially am loathe of myself when I sin in front of others; for, I have neglected to be Christ-like, thus giving opportunity for the name of God to be blasphemed.  Again, all too well do I know what it is like to be a cause of God's name to be drug through the mud.
     I know that there is mercy to be found in Christ, though.  I know that when I come to Him with a repentant, God-fearing heart, confessing my sin, seeking His forgiveness, seeking His grace to shun sin like the plague, to seek after Him like a deer panting after water, that He will grant my request; not for my honor and glory, though, but for His honor and glory in my life and that His light may shine brighter through me.  He is a most gracious Lord!
     I have to thank Him for being good to me.  He always gives me another chance to choose not to sin.  He always gives me another opportunity to see His strength overcome my weakness.  He always gives me ways to see that He is with me everywhere, and that all I need to do in times of temptation(s) is to call out to Him to rescue me from it/them, and He will.  I know that He will, for He has said He would and He always has.
     I want to be a vessel fit unto honor for Him.  I want to not bring shame to His name.  I want folks to see Him in me.  I want Him to be able to do much work through me.  I know that He is able to accomplish more for His glory in my life if I heed not to temptation and simply live righteously.
     Oh, though, how the flesh needs constant discipline!  I must daily choose to submit to God rather than the flesh. 
"Be not deceived ; God is not mocked : for whatsoever a man soweththat shall he also reap.  For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall ofthe Spirit reap life everlasting."--Galatians 6:7, 8  
"Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."--James 4:7  
"This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh."--Galatians 5:16


     Living a life where I am in a constant mode of submission unto God is undoubtedly blessed!  When I look at the example of my Saviour, Jesus Christ, He was always submitted unto God.  Oh, how I seek to be like Christ!
     It is so easy to recite or look up verses pertaining to my problems.  Yet, it is altogether another thing to put them to use!  If I were to but meditate (keep in mind, think upon, mull over) upon those verses, meditate upon Christ's character, meditate upon the love of God, I am sure I would be much more likely to obey Him than fulfill the lusts of the flesh!  
     So, as I start my day today, I am purposely putting my mind into a state of discipline.  I will be thinking much more upon God's words, rather than rushing through them:  you know, read them, acknowledge them, then move on with my day; no, I will rather take some time T-H-I-N-K-I-N-G about what He is saying, before going off to another place in my la-la-land mind.  As I do my daily chores, run errands, etc., I will T-H-I-N-K about God's words, instead of other things that ought not fill my mind.  
     I will purposely choose not to set wicked things before mine eyes.  I will purposely choose not to listen to ungodly things.  I will purposely choose not to surround myself with things that will tempt me to sin against my God.
     It is not easy, in my flesh.  Oh, how well I know that fact!  I will never overcome evil in a sinful body.  However, there is victory in Jesus!  How sweet to know Him!
     He will show me what I may set before mine eyes.  He will tell me what my ears may hear.  He will give me those things of which I may surround myself.  He will shield me and strengthen me in the heat of battle, in the time of temptation.  
Today, I am linking up with:
Growing Home





Comments

Popular Posts