Remember When

     I, like so many others, cannot pass the day without once remembering something about this day eight years ago.  All across our nation news stations, newspapers, blogs, conversations, et cetera, are talking about the atrocities we faced when terrorists attacked our country.  It is not easy for me to remember, but today I have a different perspective than I did then.
     I was at work when a coworker called me over to listen to her personal radio.  She had just heard of the first plane crashing into the first tower, so I listened on one earbud, while she another.  It was not long before we were all called together for an impromptu employee meeting with our bosses, and we were informed of the seriousness of the situation.  It was very overwhelming.  One minute we are all working in the warehouse, doing our daily orders and such.  Then, not even two hours go by. and everything gets in an upheaval.  It was very emotional.
     I was concerned, because by the time of the meeting, there was the attack in Washington, D.C.  I have family that lives very close to that place, and at the time we were not sure if there would be any more attacks there.  They were letting folks leave who were going to be too distracted to work, so I left.   I went to M.B.'s house, and watched the news with her for a few hours.  I tried getting in touch with my family members, or those who knew how they were doing.  It took a little bit of time, but by the time I got home I knew that those I loved were safe.   However, that uneasy, vulnerable feeling had not gone away.
     I kept up with the news for a while, and after some time it all blurred together, because everyone was reporting the same thing.  I stopped trying to stay up-to-date on the news regarding the attacks, and eventually stopped thinking about them.  Yet every year when that date passed, I would remember.
Today, though, is much different than the previous years.  Today as I watched a video on FoxNews.com, I cried.  It was difficult not to cry, watching the devastation, the loss, the confusion, the sheer terror of it all.  I was extremely burdened over the spiritual conditions of those folks.  We will never really know what went on in those moments, whether folks were saved or got saved before perishing.  It is sad.
     What I can do today, though, is be a faithful witness.  If ever a time comes similar to that one, when there is such devastation, confusion, and terror, may I be faithful to have at least prepared some by the hearing of the Gospel that removes all fear of Hell.  Since Christ suffered our penalty and then rose from the grave, we can have hope of eternal life with Him!  If ever a time comes when we die on earth, we can at least know that our soul is with Him!  Please, dear fellow Christians reading this, be a faithful witness, for we never know what may happen.

Comments

Popular Posts