A Surprise Recipe, That Turned Out Good!

Last week, on my Facebook page, I shared this picture:


I asked folks if they wanted to take a gander at what was in the bowl, and folks guessed right!  

Garlic!  Yum!

I then asked if they wanted to know for what purpose I was using it.  I got a few responses.  Of course, no one can really know the purpose, without a few other pictures:


Mushrooms...


Turnip...


Rutabaga...


Celery...


Carrots...


Onion...


Potatoes...

...Wanna take a guess?

If you guessed roast, you would be right!  What kind of roast, is up for debate.  I never thought I would make the kind of roast I made last week.  However, it was delicious!



My prep work, and handy iPad to show me the way...


Another view of the prep area...


Of course, the deliciously necessary spices!



And, the center of it all:  beef heart!

     Yes, folks, beef heart.  I *thought* I had purchased a cut of "regular" beef at the local grocery store.  I was tired, looking at the lesser-priced cuts, and grabbed what looked like a good deal.  Obviously, I did not read the label.
     Not one to want to waste food, or money (and I can do both quite well), I decided to look up ways on how to cook beef heart.  I finally decided to tweak a recipe that I found on The Pioneer Woman, for a delicious roast recipe I had used once before.  I will link it on this article, so that you can follow the directions she gives.  You will NOT be sorry!
     I took one turnip, one rutabaga, one yellow onion, half a container of sliced crimini mushrooms, five yellow potatoes, four carrots, four stalks of celery, a whole lot of garlic, the seasonings listed in her recipe, and simply followed her recipe!  I wanted to really load up on the veggies and seasonings...JUST in case we decided we did not like the beef heart.  Well, I guess we did...Because it is all gone!



Comments

Popular Posts