Redeeming The Time

     If there has been one thing that I have constantly noticed in my Bible studies, as well as in my observations of life, is that of redeeming the time.  That particular phrase has stayed with me, ever since I first paid close attention to it in Ephesians 5:16, "Redeeming the time, because the days are evil."  That particular verse has been quite poignant for me.

     As a Christian woman, who happens to wear many hats (wife, mother, sister, friend, daughter, etc.), that phrase often comes to mind as I go about my day.  Sadly, there are many times I do not heed its admonition to me, but rather decide to go contrary to it.  Yet, I cannot escape it...Nor, do I want to.

     With so much vying for my attention in this world, and being the creature I am, it is very easy to get distracted from how the Lord wants me to live my life.  Every aspect of my life should be revolving around HimHis message, His glory.  How often do I find myself neglecting Him, though?  Much more often than I care to admit.

     When I am focused on Him (His message, His glory), I find that my life is so much sweeter.  Everything I do, say, think, or feel, finds itself being filtered through the lens of my Lord Jesus Christ.  Important moments carry that much more weight.  The most menial of tasks take upon themselves a glory that otherwise would have been overlooked, because I am doing it unto Him.  "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31 

     I do not want to be standing before Him at that great day where His saints receive and/or lose rewards, finding that I have lost so much more than I gained.  The heartbreak is not that I do not have all these crowns to wear and of which to boast, but rather to know how despondent it would be to have wasted so much time, talent, and treasure that could have glorified the Risen Saviour. 

     He is my motivation.  As Paul says, "I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus,"  Philippians 3:14.  Now, mind you, He is my desired prize, when my heart and mind are dwelling upon Him.  When they are not focused upon Him, well, whatever temporary pleasure(s) my heart desires, becomes my goal.

     With all these things in mind, I want to discuss something, that for the past year, has been a great burden upon my heart.  This matter is one that we all must face:  our eventual parting from this plane of existence.  

     Eternity is ever looming before us.  All of us sense that there is more to our lives than just our existence upon Earth.  There is a general "knowing" that our souls will travel somewhere else, once they leave our bodies. The question is, where?

     Those closest to me know that last year, I lost my one of my beloved siblings to a devastating cancer.  She and I were very close, and losing her has been one of the most painful losses I have ever experienced.  However, her loss has been even greater of a pain, because I know not of her final destination.

     Though we were so close to one another, there was a great chasm between us for years.  "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?"  Amos 3:3.  Obviously, that answer is, "No."  As it happened, there were many things with which we disagreed, because of our differing spiritual viewpoints.

     Over the years, she sat up front to my Christian life... The good, the bad, the ugly.  Through it all, we had many a spiritual discussion, and debate.  At times, our differences kept us at arm's length with one another...But, our sisterly love always drew us back together.

     One thing that we both always appreciated with each other was an unbridled vulnerability.  Our talks of God, Jesus, salvation, along with all the questions about God's character, the brokenness of mankind, were raw, real, and honest; and, they were many.  I am so grateful for each moment of honest discussions with one another.  I did not know how quickly they would be cut short.

     Knowing that up until she was no longer able to communicate, she indicated a great difficulty in trusting in Christ.  She adamantly, but respectfully in our talks, refused to respond to the gospel by trusting in Christ.  

     Her rejection of Christ has greatly grieved my heart this past year.  However, I know that even if she could not communicate with us, as long as she had breath, she could communicate with the only One who could save her soul--that knowledge does give me great comfort!

     I have lost others with whom I was close, and loved dearly.  Nevertheless, her passing has affected me in such a deep way.  One resounding thought never leaves me whenever I think of her, and where she currently is (or isn't):  If she still rejected Christ, to the very end, the Bible is clear--she is in Hell.  

 "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."  Matthew 10:28

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil."  John 3:18-19

"There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."  Luke 16:19-31

     One notable thing about this last passage is that it was not indicated as a parable.  All other parables Jesus shared, always were indicated that they were parables.  From my understanding, this passage in Luke is an account He shared of real people who had passed:  one to eternal torment, and one to eternal life.  Knowing that the condemned man desired that his brethren be warned, I cannot help but think that if my sister were in the same place, she, too, would want her loved ones warned...

     However, if she cried out to the Saviour before parting this Earth, she is with Him, at this very moment!  I will see her!  She is completely healed, completely enraptured in His love, and would want her loved ones there, too!  

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."  John 3:16-17

"For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life. Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit. Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord."  2 Corinthians 5:1-8

"But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him. Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do."  
1 Thessalonians 5:1-11

     Desiring to redeem the time, for the days are indeed evil, I urge every one who reads this article to consider where they will go when they die.  All this past year, I have been contemplating that reality that my beloved sister is currently facing.  Knowing that she is just beyond this mortal veil, in one of two places, and would be earnestly desiring her loved ones to be warned of the wrath to come, compels me to urge you to take stock of your eternal home.  Even more so, my beloved Saviour says this:

"And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done. Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book. And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God. And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand. He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."  Revelation 22:6-21










Comments

Popular Posts