Why I Stay At Home and Homeschool

     For the longest time in my life, I never even considered homeschooling as an option for my future children. Like many, I would dream of the days of preparing my future children for kindergarten: that first bus ride; parent-teacher conferences; field trips...Pretty much, a 21st-century version of what I experienced as a youth. In fact, I barely envisioned a life for me staying at home, full-time. I imagined I would only be home when we had children; and, only while they were home. Once they were attending school, I would go back to the outside workforce.

     Then, I started studying the Bible. My desires changed, as I began to hide God's word in my heart: allowing it to transform my mind. I started contemplating and observing things: things like child-rearing, careers, homemaking, education--anything that I thought touched upon our lives, hopes, and dreams.

     My husband and I were in lockstep with these studies and new changes, thankfully. It was radical thinking, and living, for both of us. Yet, we wanted (and, still want) to have lives evidently transformed by Christ.

     Thus, my leaving my secular career to focus on my home career. Though we were childless, I now had much free time at hand to prepare, educate, and practice. Learning invaluable homemaking skills (of which I am still learning and refining), pouring myself into various interests and Bible studies, and being available to lend a hand to those in need, quickly filled my life.

     I am so grateful for that time, and those experiences. Undoubtedly, it all was preparatory. Today, I am unable to study and do all the things I once did. My life has changed. I am a blessed mother of children! They need my focus and energy. Those interests and studies are now on the backburner: to be dealt with when able. Yet, those skills I attained, the interests I pursued, the lessons I learned (figuratively and literally), are all still regularly applied.

     We did not decide on my leaving the workforce for my sole benefit, though.  My husband did not rapidly amass a great amount of wealth.  It was not to fulfill a desire considered antiquated and novel. Rather, it was due to our desire to be obedient to what we saw in scripture; chiefly, Titus 2:3-5.

     We decided to educate our family at home along the same premise: scripture. All throughout the Bible, you find the Lord instructing fathers to instruct their children (with the mothers at the right hand of the fathers in this endeavor). You see youth instructed to heed the instructions, counsels, and guidance of their parents.

     (Due to the fact that there is a plethora of material available sharing the statistics comparing education at home to public school, with a wide array of other issues pertaining to that topic, I will refrain from adding that part to my post.)

    Observationally, we noticed no significant difference in the socialization of or educational material available to those youth who were being homeschooled compared to their public-school counterparts. We did notice the freedom that those who homeschooled enjoyed. We also saw how personalized the education was for those at home.

     Quite frankly, we enjoy having our children around us. Though there was a time when I would envision what it would be like to send off any future children to school, to think of such a thing, now, grieves my heart. They are so precious to me, and worth every bit of work asked of me to educate them: whether that be in shaping their character, practical life skills, or algebra. Doing so, with Christ as our Foundation, Head, and Motivation is key; and, knowing that He is all those things, is crucial.

     There were Christian influences in my schools that I attended. However, to say that Christ was the Foundation, Head, and Motivation, would be ludicrous. Not only is the public school structure formatted in a God-less format, being surrounded by God-less peers during the most formative years, for the better part of the day, definitely has an impact upon a young, impressionable, and growing mind.

     Is that to say that we are intimidated by other ways of thinking? No. However, what I am saying, is that we take our responsibility before the Lord for these children He gave us with the utmost sobriety: WE will give an account unto Him for their upbringing. Therefore, with the freedoms we have, we readily enjoy and embrace the opportunities to have them at home for their education.

     We want to approach those unsavory aspects of life, opposing worldviews, sensitive and intimate topics, with godly wisdom. We cannot trust the current public educational system with that responsibility. We desire to teach those matters to our children when appropriate for them, and in doses they can handle.

     No one will care for our children's whole well-being like we do. No one has the accountability like we do. No one loves them like we do.

      Being blessed to be home, full-time, and educate our children at home, is a privilege not taken lightly. I know many mothers are in positions that necessitate them working outside the home, yet they long for the days to be home. There are many other mothers who can only dream of being able to have their children at home for their schooling (just watch a documentary series: "Most Dangerous Ways To School"). These are more reasons for me to appreciate and cultivate the opportunities I have as a keeper at home.

     I am so very grateful for being a homemaker and homeschool mother. In no way do I feel as though I am missing out on life, but rather, I have an even more enriched and abundant life! There is no better place for me, than my home: with my loved ones, investing in their precious lives.




Comments

Popular Posts