Biblical Forgiveness

     You know, I have never been one that has typically had a good outcome out of any kind of confrontation.  I have never known what it is like to talk to someone you love about a sensitive issue and it go well.  Sure, there may be sensitive feelings, I get that idea.  But, today was the first day where I have endured a real confrontation with truly Biblical results; and it was amazing.
     Whenever I have had to confront someone or be confronted, the outcome nine times out of ten ends up with a broken relationship.  Either I have said/handled things incorrectly, or vice versa.  I do not really recall a time when it has been dealt with Biblically and end up with both parties still in fellowship.  Therefore, anytime I have a problem I just try and avoid it (except with my husband, ironically), so that I do not lose that person I love.
     I know that God does not want me to do that, though.  He wants me to confront in charity the offender or offended and make things right.  If they will not forgive or what-have-you, I know that I am to get witnesses next time, and so on.  Yet, still out of fear of losing that relationship, I avoid confrontations.  But, it never gets any better that way.
     Finally, God had a dear sister of mine confront me with her own burdens.  She was asking me for forgiveness, yet I knew I was the one who needed to do so.  God used her tender heart to break mine and seek her forgiveness as well.  He also allowed me to share with her my reasons (though not an excuse) of avoiding these confrontations.  She understood, but it freed me from that fear.  For the first time I really experienced what true, Biblically-obeyed, confrontations regarding offenses can be like, and I am thankful for it.
     If anything, it caused us to love one another even more.  It caused us to love the Saviour more, trusting Him for whatever the outcome.  It caused us to know to pray for one another's sins in this area and others. We obeyed Scripture, because of Christ and through Him, and were blessed.  I know that Satan, my flesh, and this world will try to still tempt us where we are struggling, but now we have discernment and understanding.  Through Christ we can walk closer to Him and each other this time.

Comments

Popular Posts