Long Overdue Life Review

     It has been quite a while since I have written, let alone composed a "year in review."  In fact, the last "year in review" was in 2019!  I suppose there is some catching up to do. 

     Like everyone else, 2020 was a challenging year for us.  I went from expecting to have another home birth, to an unplanned c-section, right at the beginning of the pandemic.  The whole experience was very trying for myself and my husband. However, in the midst of all the turmoil surrounding our situation, we can look back and see God's care for all of us through the hard moments. 

     One of my sisters was able to come visit us one month after the twins' arrival.  Having loved ones visit us is always such a special gift, especially that of my li'l sisser.  I was so grateful that she and her son were able to meet them!  

     Later on in the same year, we also faced a very heartbreaking goodbye:  that of his mother. I am thankful that she was able to see the twins for their first five months with video chats, and that my husband was gifted the opportunity to be with her for a few days while she was still well enough to receive visitors. Yet, the loss of his mother while thousands of miles away, is a heartache indescribable. 

     2021 greeted us with the opportunity to purchase our first home!  We could see God's hand all over it:  from the realtor we were able to have, to the house (never even put on the market!), to the closing--all of it is a beautiful testimony of God's care for our needs!

     2022 rolled into our lives without much fanfare.  Yet, it became one of the most difficult near the end of the year.  One day in particular is still imprinted in my mind:  the day in which my little sister was diagnosed with glioblastoma. 

     Being nearly 1,000 miles away from her, while she faced one of the hardest battles of her life, I felt utterly helpless to rescue or comfort her.  After everything else she had experienced in life, my heart was shattered to see her now have to face this...I cannot even find the words. 

     Yet!  As I write today, God has been so gracious to keep her here with us!  She is still facing what is given her in life, taking care of the ones she loves, and keeps pushing through her difficulties. 

     In early 2023, we found ourselves blessed with a new church family, which has shown to be an answer to many prayers.  As my sister continued her battle with glioblastoma, we yearned to see her.  We also yearned to see my husband's grandfather, who was to celebrate his 90th birthday.  Our dilemma:  families separated by thousands of miles, in opposite directions, and a very limited budget.

     Yet, again, God blessed us!  Not only were we gifted the opportunity to go visit family in the PNW for my husband's grandfather's birthday celebration, God gave us the gift to visit my sister for Thanksgiving!  To be given both opportunities, as a family, to see the people we love, are priceless gifts.   

     We entered 2024 quite peacefully.  No large celebrations, but a quiet trust in the Lord for the new year. There are still the faithful challenges of everyday life, and the ever-present desire to be faithful to the Lord in all things.  Though we do not know what lies before us, we trust the One who does. 

     

Comments

Popular Posts