W.o.W. Wednesday!

"To be discreet..."
Titus 2:5a



**As found on Webster's 1828 Dictionary, online.**

     There are only three times this word "discreet" is found, in the Bible.  Three times.  What are the other two?

"Now therefore let Pharaoh look out a man discreet and wise, and set him over the land of Egypt." 
Genesis 41:33

"And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, Forasmuch as God hath shewed thee all this, there is none so discreet and wise as thou art:" 
Genesis 41:39

     The fact that the other two times that the word "discreet" is used, is during God's account of Joseph, causes me to really pay attention.  I know we should pay attention all the time, anyway; but, Joseph is quite the example!
     God blessed Joseph with discretion.  Using that discretion, gave much glory to God!  Joseph was used mightily, by the Lord, in his use of discretion.
     So, I was curious as to how the word (discreet) was used in Scripture, as "discretion."  I found it nine different times.  Here is how the word, "discretion," is used:

  "A good man sheweth favour, and lendeth: he will guide his affairs with discretion."
Psalm 112:5

"To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion."
Proverbs 1:4
"Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee:"
Proverbs 2:11
"My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion:"
Proverbs 3:21
"That thou mayest regard discretion, and that thy lips may keep knowledge."
Proverbs 5:2
 "As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion."
Proverbs 11:22
"The discretion of a man deferreth his anger; and it is his glory to pass over a transgression."
Proverbs 19:11
"For his God doth instruct him to discretion, and doth teach him."
Isaiah 28:26
"He hath made the earth by his power, he hath established the world by his wisdom, and hath stretched out the heavens by his discretion." 
Jeremiah 10:12

     With these verses in mind, I have to contemplate the ways of being discreet, and using discernment.

     What first comes to mind, is that it seems akin to "prudence" and "wisdom."  Indeed, it is mentioned alongside wisdom.  In what ways can I be discreet?

  1. I can learn from others' examples, so I can avoid the pitfalls of sin.
  2. I can observe life, all around me, that I may redeem the time:  praying for others; ministering to others' needs; sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ with others...
  3. I can submit to the will of the Father, so as to live in a God-fearing, feminine manner.
  4. I would go to the Father, to see how best to look well to the ways of our household.
     What comes to your mind?  Again, I am sure that if I stayed long enough on this thought, more ideas would come.  Yet, I would enjoy hearing from you!




Comments

Popular Posts