Being Frugal With Dear's Money, Part 1

     So, off we were to the local grocery store!  We (or rather, I) enjoy supporting local businesses, local produce, that sort of thing.  All within reason, mind you.
     As I am perusing the aisles, as we have a new place to shop since we are in a new town, I notice that the prices are a bit higher on products I regularly need.  I know to take into consideration the cost of gas to go buy the cheaper-priced item; however, I usually buy more than one item at the out-of-town store.  Ugh.  A conundrum!
     I do not like wasting money.  I like to justify uses for money, but not waste it.  ;)  God has convicted me, and is strengthening me, to wisely use money.  Moving out in the country has aided our expenditures greatly: no quick runs to the store, no quick runs to the local espresso stand, no quick run to the drive-thru, etc.  However, it also means that there are no quick trips when I need peanut butter, and the price and quality of the new local peanut butter is silly.
     So, I decided to put a recipe into use.  I stumbled upon a recipe for homemade peanut butter, and finally had an opportunity to make it!  I am finding that frugality begets creativity!  :)
     I bought three pounds of raw Spanish peanuts.  I took them home to my handy-dandy food processor.  Adding some essential ingredients, and voila!, peanut butter:  home-style!  Can I get a witness?
     I have never, to my recollection, had homemade peanut butter.  It is nothing like what you get at the store, including the organic versions.  There is no oil separation.  This blend is rather thick, even with water added.  Dear immensely enjoyed it, and I am well-pleased, too.  I also look forward to many varieties to the recipe!
     If I had not needed to save money, I probably would not have made it anytime soon.  However, I do see us saving money, and our health, by making our own, simple, creative peanut butter.  Who knows?  Maybe I will start making almond butter, tahini, regular butter...
     I want to share this easy, yet exciting, recipe with you!  I hope that you are inspired to save money, and health, by making your own...

HAVE-IT-YOUR-WAY-PEANUT-BUTTER

2.5 cups raw peanuts
4 Tbs. almond oil (or peanut oil...or grapeseed oil...or olive oil...)
2 Tbs. raw honey (or more, depending on taste)
Salt to taste
Water to consistency

Extra fun additives:  cocoa powder, cinnamon...Be creative!

Pour peanuts into food processor.  Blend until it looks like moist cornmeal.  Slowly add oil.  Slowly add honey.  Add salt.  Slowly add water.  There you have it!  You can add more/less depending on your taste/desire.  If you like a smoother consistency, add more water.  Just be careful not to make it runny.  Pour into a mason jar, or any good container, then refrigerate.  Don't forget that it will harden some in the fridge.  If you want to spread it over bread, let it sit out a bit before doing so.  This is not anything like store-bought.  It's better!





Growing Home



Comments

  1. WHERE did you find peanuts?!?! I have been making our own peanut butter as well, as, the price is just going higher and higher for the natural stuff! I use coconut or peanut oil in mine. Also, I roast mine in the oven for a few minutes. Helps to bring out more of the peanut-y flavor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found them at the local grocery store...But, I can get them at the local co-op, too. I think I purchased this bulk bag of peanuts for $2+ change/lb. (Spanish raw). I like the idea of using coconut oil, and roasting them...MMM! This batch I added cinnamon to them. Maybe next time I'll experiment with cocoa powder...And coconut oil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I thought I've seen everything in the do-it-yourself world but I don't think I've seen that. It looks very good. Hope you are enjoying your new home and settling in peacefully!~Monica

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

"Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." Colossians 4:6

Popular Posts