Homemade Bread!

     So, what should I do since the holidays are upon us and we are no longer celebrating some of them?  Seems like we've lost any reason to do anything this time of year....But, I've been making bread!
     I've been on a bread-making kick for a while, thanks to my friend L.  I used to make it a lot last year, too, but had subsided for a while.  I love the smell of homemade bread in our home!
     I also love this time of year.  The colors, the crispness in the air, the coziness in the home...Makes being a keeper at home all that more enjoyable!
     I think I have found a recipe that I thoroughly enjoy, which is my Honey-Oat-Wheat Bread.

HONEY-OAT-WHEAT BREAD

2 cups boiling water (6 minutes on high in the microwave does it for me)
1 cup oatmeal
1 package yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
5 cups bread flour

In a large bowl, cool the boiling water slightly and add the oatmeal.  In a small bowl, combine the warm water, honey, and yeast--let sit no more than 10 minutes.  Add the yeast mixture to the oatmeal mixture and then add the remaining ingredients; add the flour 1 cup at a time.  Knead the dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes.  Place in an oiled bowl, turning the dough to coat thoroughly.  Cover with Saran Wrap, and let rise until doubled in size (about one hour).  Once rose, punch down and divide into two loaves.  Place in two bread pans and let rise again for a half hour.  Preheat the oven for 350 degrees.  Bake for 35-40 minutes.  Remove loaves from oven and let cool.  You may brush the tops with butter, or simply enjoy as is!

     That recipe I just LOVE!  It makes our home smell so nice, and it tastes so good!

Comments

Post a Comment

"Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." Colossians 4:6

Popular Posts